The Clemente Open Call for Artist.
Version en Español click here.
CLEMENTE OPEN CALL
We are pleased to invite independent curators, emerging artists and arts professionals to submit exhibition proposals to be considered for the two gallery spaces at The Clemente, the Abrazo and the LES Gallery, from July 2018 to June 2019.
The Clemente is a Puerto Rican/Latino cultural institution that has demonstrated a broad-minded cultural vision and a collaborative philosophy. While the Clemente’s mission is focused on the cultivation, presentation, and preservation of Puerto Rican and Latino culture, it is equally determined to operate in a multicultural and inclusive manner, housing and promoting artists and performance events that fully reflect the cultural diversity of the Lower East Side and the city as a whole.
Given that history and the increasing gentrification of Lower East Side, the Clemente’s visual arts program is dedicated to supporting alternatives voices, multi-cultural exchange and work that pushes the boundaries of its media.
The Clemente’s Visual Arts Review Panel which includes independent museum professionals, curators, gallerists and arts educators will select exhibitions for the Abrazo and LES Gallery based on the strength of the art and curatorial concept.
Please review and follow the guidelines below.
– You do not have to be a professionally trained curator to submit a proposal as submissions will be judged on merit.
– We strongly encourage group exhibitions.
– Artists who are acting in the curatorial role for the proposed exhibition may not submit a proposal that only includes his/her own work however show proposals for work of a single artist can be submitted by a curator.
– Submissions that include programming such as artist talks, community workshops and gallery tours are encouraged.
The Clemente does not discriminate based on age, gender, or nationality.
We do not accept proposals from undergraduate or graduate students.
– L.E.S. Gallery Floor plan
– Abrazo Interno Gallery
– If funding allows, The Clemente may offer a stipend for curators and artists.
– Exhibition Information: Duration of exhibits run for 4-6 weeks.
– Gallery Hours: Open every day from 3:30pm to 7pm (The building is closed on all major holidays)
Submission Deadline is September 15th, 2017. Application is open to US and non-US residents